Sunday, August 1, 2010

More Like "Ass-Kicked"

I can't read your mind, but I can kick your ASS!

Remember this gem of a movie? It's was yet another attempt by Hollywood to get people to go to the theatres. Did it work for you? Because it didn't for me. I got the movie less than legally. Risky to post that factoid on the blog? Sure, but I only have 10 fans. I don't think that shit will hit the fan anytime soon.

Synopsis... What if you were a superhero? Yes, it's the question every boy has asked himself growing up in this crazy world. What if I was a superhero? Sure, you didn't have any super powers like Superman or Spiderman, but you could always count on Batman to backup your reasoning; Batman didn't have any powers at all... instead, he had enough hate to fill the whole Gotham City (Otherwise known as Chicago, thanks to Christopher Nolan), not to mention every possible resources in the face of the Earth at his fingertips, thanks to his ridiculous wealth. In other words, No! You can't be a superhero!

This movie, exactly like the comic-book, dives into the lives of people that said "What if I just became a superhero?" The skill-level and the motives for doing so ranges from revenge to just a curiosity, and even what appears to be a brain-washing method used similarly by the good 'ol Nazi Youth Camps back in those crazy days. Will it pan out for the bravely cloaked heroes? Well, you know what curiosity did to the cat...

Cast... A lot of new faces in this movie, at least for me. The main guy, "Kickass" is Aaron Johnson. Looking back at his past movies, I can't say that I've seen any of them, and that's saying something because I have watched a lot of movies in my time. Really good supporting cast, however, for the ever-so-kooky Nick Cage anchors the mood of the movie and pretty much takes care of the CRAZY part of the whole deal. Lyndsy Fonseca does a decent job and McLovin (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) brings some of that McLovin humor to the plot.

Sidenote: I for some reason thought Mintz-Plasse did the whole speech impediment thing just for Superbad. After watching this movie, uh... I guess I'm wrong. Moving on.

I always like Mark Strong in anything villainy because of his voice and his weird tooth, and what about Evan Peters, everyone... he should not do movies anymore. I don't know what it is... oh wait, I know... it's his ridiculous voice. Can't stand it. Sorry.

But the focus of this cast for me has to be on Chloe Moretz, AKA Hit-Girl. Wow. She says the F word like thousands of times and she even says the ever-so-taboo C word. On top of it all, she's just so fucking awesome! I mean look at this!!! She will literally Eat your FACE!

Director... Matthew Vaughn, that son-of-a-bitch. Layercake ranks pretty high in my list of cool movies (not to mention that movie rocked hard because of Daniel Craig), and this one does, too. I have never read the actual comic-books, but I'm thinking about picking several up in coming weeks just judging from the movie. Why? Because I like the movie, and the original inspiration material is always better. I will be watching your movies Mr. Vaughn. Let's not try to let me down.

Story... Action packed movie. Cool transition throughout the movie and also with the characters. You feel connected enough with all the characters minus one, that of McLovin. Some corniness are forgiven because the movie is based on a comic-book, and I actually liked all the No Fuckin' Way action moments. Why? Because the coolest actions moments came from Hit-Girl. That Kryptonite scene was just awesome and the music (courtesy of movie Sunshine) was a brilliant choice. Know what? The music selection throughout the whole movie was good. Fits the world of Kick-Ass well. Good job, music-guy of Kick-Ass, whoever you are.

They left it so there would be a sequel, and there will be one. I'm not too mad at it, because of the fact that the R-rated comic book movies are actually fun. Hollywood should have done that ages ago. I would watch a R-rated Batman movie any day.
Yes... Yes we can.
Until next time!

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment